The mission of the Canton Bicentennial Committee is to plan and carry out a celebration of the 200th anniversary of the town’s February 5, 1821 incorporation. The celebration events, to take place in 2021, are designed to build on the community’s sense of pride in the town and its history – for people young and old, near and far.
The Committee will:
- Commission the conservation of “Book 1,” the original town registry dated 1821.
- Plan and present ongoing fundraisers from 2017-2021 to supplement Bicentennial funds approved at Town Meeting, in order to ensure that activities/events can be enjoyed by all. Fundraising activities may include:
- Annual February 5 fundraising event
- Soliciting sponsorships from local and regional businesses and individuals to aid in fundraising goals.
- Offering Bicentennial-related items and keepsakes for sale
- Present a gala commemorating the incorporation date in February 2021.
- Provide opportunities for Canton nonprofits to host Bicentennial events in order to increase awareness of their valued role in the community.
- Plan and present a three-day celebration in August 2021 which may include activities such as:
- Town-wide parade
- Fireman’s Muster
- Historical displays and demonstrations
- Activities to highlight community achievements (veterans, fire department, etc.)
- Artisan/craft fair
- Softball game
- Public dinners
- Music, entertainment, storytelling, street dance
- Garden tours
- A car show
- Many other activities